Sunday, November 18, 2012

#18 - Isaac and Rebecca D

Ok - I'll admit it.  Learning a foreign language at my age is overwhelming.  It is easy to be discouraged and depressed and as if you will never pass the exam or carry on a complete conversation without the person you are talking to saying "huh."  Even a little more honest, I'll admit that I feel those emotions almost every day.  When I think about how much more language I have to learn or listen to myself talk or compare myself to Scott, Alex, or another team member, tears form.  I am learning the self discipline of not letting those tears slip out, but it doesn't take away the burn.  But every now and then, God gives me the gift of encouragement (although I am still looking for the gift of learning spanish via osmosis, in a single night).

Today was my Sunday to teach children's worship.  I love working with children, for a variety of reasons, but mostly because they are so very forgiving.  I have been teaching once month for for about 10 months.  Today we started new material and I was so excited to share it with them, but at the same time a little afraid.  This material requires a lot of discussion and a lot of teaching (we began a chronological study of the entire bible).  And of course, they don't speak English.

So, as always, I started with an apology for my language and then dug into the lesson.  Then in the middle of the introduction, I say something about learning my language a little at a time and I hope it is better than the last time I taught.  And Isaac, who I would guess is about 10, says "it is a lot better than last time!"  Oh how I love that kid!  So I am thankful for Isaac, who unbeknownst to him, gave me a beautiful gift of encouragement today.

And I am thankful for Rebecca D.  She is a co-worker's daughter and she has been my "translator" for the many months I have been teaching.  She has never laughed and never said "huh," she just gently translates when my words make no sense in spanish.  And today, as I introduced the new material and what we were going to study she was like a sponge.  She ate up every topic and every conversation.  She made it worth risking being embarrassed with my language and reminded me why I was studying spanish to begin with.  So today I am thankful for the gift of Rebecca's gentle spirit and help.

If you don't work with kids because you are "afraid" you won't know how to do it, try it in a language you don't speak.  Bluntly, I would say, get over it.  There are so many rewards that came from sitting across the table from a child and watching the Word of God unfold before their eyes.  So, for that gift, I too am grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.