Tuesday, November 6, 2012

#6 - Laughing Along the Way

I'll admit it.  I am lazy.  Given the choice between walking somewhere and driving somewhere, I'll almost always choose drive.  Now dont' get me wrong, I like to walk, just for the sake of walking.  But walk to a destination and carry my stuff as well, no thank you.  I am also a fair weather walker - I like to walk when it is 70 degrees - 85 is too hot - 50 is too cold.  I don't want to have to wear a coat while I walk and I don't want to sweat.  I know, picky, picky.  You won't be the first to tell me so.

But, regardless of my preferences, I walk most days to language class.  Today the sun was shining so I didn't wear a coat, making it a little better.  Unfortunately it was a little cool to go without - but on the way home the weather was perfect.

Today as I walked home I realized how many things I saw along the way that made me laugh, things I would have missed if I drove.  So today, I am thankful for the "little" things I have passed over the past few days as I walk to and from school.  Here are just a few to let you laugh with me.

  • This morning (and yesterday afternoon) I passed a rooster sitting on a wall.  Yes, we live in the city - although we are on the outskirts.  Apparently farm animals are legal in the city limits of Spain.
  • I passed a man who had to be more than 80 years old this morning, sitting on his front porch playing a recorder.  Yeah, the kind the kids learn to play in school.
  • Last week as Scott and I walked to class one morning we passed a grandmother and child calling for "??."  I can't remember the name - but it was a name used for people, so we both assumed they were calling for another child.  But as we went around the corner here comes  a big dog.
  • Today as I walked up to a major intersection there was a couple making out (ok, not everything has made me laugh) - and I mean MAKING OUT.  All of a sudden, he came up for air and realized his bus was at the bus stop, which was on the corner diagonally from the corner we were on.  He lets out a yell, grabs his bag, and darts across the intersection, yeah jay walking, without looking, waving his arms at the bus driver, and yelling.  Of course several cars are now blowing their horns at him and I can see the bus driver just shaking his head.
  • Every day I pass a set of triplets - two boys and a girl.  They are probably 4 or 5 years old and are always running ahead of the dad.  The girl has red hair and it is almost always in pig tails.  I can't help but laugh and smile every time I pass her.
  • This summer I met 3 sisters at the English class we offered in the park.  They range in age from 6ish to 10ish.  The two youngest are both missing front teeth and the oldest has this sly little smile.  They remembered me and every day they wave or speak and I say back "hola chicas."  Nothing like being recognized and remembered when you live in a foreign country, especially when it is not because of how bad you messed up your language the last time you were around them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.