Saturday, November 3, 2012

#3 - People & Things that Stand in the Gap


One of (many) things that is difficult about life overseas is the distance from our children.  I know, when a child goes off to college you all parents don't get to see them daily or know everything that goes on in their child's life, but it is different when there is an ocean between you.  You no longer have the option of popping in for lunch on a Saturday, offering to do their laundry, dropping everything and visiting when you hear distress in their voice, watching a football game together, or even sending fresh baked chocolate chip cookies.  I know there are parents who are living in the US who sent their children off to other parts of the country and miss out on many of these things as well, so I'm not saying I am the only one in such a situation, but it is hard.

I'd love to bake Hannah a batch of her favorite cookie or muffin and drop them in the mail (but it would cost a ridiculous amount of money and take so long to arrive they would be growing something).  I miss her calling home and saying I need my winter things - instead she called my parents to bring her fuzzy socks.  I miss helping her figure out how to go to the doctor because she says she needs new glasses - instead I told her to call one of our college friends.  I miss walking around Hillsborough street with college classes in and experiencing the atmosphere of college with her (just not the same in July before students arrive).  I dearly missed moving her into college (although I can't say I missed toting all that stuff up to the 3rd floor).  I have missed chatting with her - sitting in front of the computer screen is a great back up, but just not the same as a light hearted conversation.

I think Hannah would say she misses these things too, especially since she is counting the days until she arrives back at home.

But God is good and faithful!  We are not on this journey alone.  He has placed people and new inventions in our paths that help bridge this gap.  And for these I am deeply grateful.  My mama's heart is soothed by those people who have stood in the place where I cannot be.

Here are just a few:


Christine Linderman and her friend took a side trip to Raleigh this past week.  They walked Hillsborough Street together, laughed and caught up, and making it all the more special to me - skyped me from the sidewalk.  Others have "checked on" Hannah for me as they find their way in the direction of NCSU.  My aunt Carol and her friend Phyllis drove from Florida to NC to visit with my parents (an annual trip) and after 12+ hours in the car one day, found themselves in the car the next morning so they could take Hannah to lunch.  I am very grateful for those who make the campus visits in my place.





Care packages are essential to the life of a college student.  Joanne Schulze has taken on the task of mailing Hannah some fabulous care packages.  Hannah says when she sees the box is from Joanne she knows good times are ahead.  One box included a chia pet - which has sense been named, featured on skype conversations and facebook posts, and even prompted Alex to experience a little jealousy and want one of his own here in Spain.  SEND sent a care package to all college MKs.  When the team was here in October I was able to send a care package to her via their suitcases and then Lea helped get it delivered.  Thank you for all who help Hannah's mailbox not be eternally empty.




 Football games are part of the college student life.  Kevin and Ashley invited Hannah to tailgate with them for one of the home games.  Knowing that she didn't know their family really well they even insisted she bring a friend.  What a fabulous treat - home cooking, lots of laughter, and being a part of the college life that she was without.




Shopping - what college girl would turn down a chance to go shopping?  Over fall break Mary and Joanne took Hannah and Dena shopping.  Although she did some picking of things she really needed, she had a lot of fun being silly.
 My parents have been fabulous at standing in the gap for us - even digging through the things she left at their house and delivering fuzzy socks to keep her feet warm.  They have repeatedly stood in the gap for us - taking Hannah to college, loaning her a car to visit friends, giving her a place to call home and a permanent address to put on paperwork, and more.  
 

Carol and Steve live in Raleigh.  Carol and their daughter Anika took Hannah to lunch one Saturday - just because weekends on campus can be long and boring.  Carol has helped Hannah find an eye doctor, and if need be, will help with transportation as well.  It's th elittle things that people remember and help with that bring tears to my eyes and fill my heart with gratitutde.
 
And then of course, I am grateful for Magic Jack phones that have allowed me to just chat on the phone with Hannah as if we lived in the same city.  I'm also grateful for Skype that gives me a glimpse of her face regularlly as wella s the sites around here and iphones tha tallow us to text daily without costing a ton, email and facebook to allow us to experience a little more, and so much more.
 
So today I am grateful for all of you (even those I did not mention) that have stood in the gap for this mama, making the distance just a little easier to bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.