Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How do YOU measure success?

I had a conversation with a friend yesterday regarding success.  I left the conversation with a lot to think about.  I had said some things they didn't agree with and they pointed out that from their perspective I was looking at a situation wrong, then they shared some of their frustrations.  We are both in similar situations but see them from very different view points.  So, I walked away from the conversation with a lot to ponder.

The bottom line of the thought process has become, how does one measure success when they serve in ministry.  What is success for a missionary is where my thoughts ended last night.  I'd love to hear some of your comments as to the answer of that question.

When I taught school I worked with special needs children.  Each child had an individualized education plan with their goals for the year.  At the end of the year I had a black and white measuring stick to determine if I had succeeded as a teacher.  When I sold Pampered Chef I had a paycheck and an incentive program that determined if I was successful.  When I was a stay at home mom success became a little more fuzzy to determine, but there were days when I called it successful if the house was still standing the children were still alive at the end of the day.

But what about in ministry?  In a church setting there are some things that can be used to measure success, although that is where I am struggling at the moment.  Is success a building for your ministry?  Is success a senior pastor who repeatedly lets you know you are doing a good job?  Is success overflowing Sunday School classes?  Is success having the population you work with represented in each baptism service?  Is success being loved by the people you work with?  I know, I know - success is reaching people for Christ and discipling them into mature believers.  Boy does that sound like a true "churchy" answer.  But at the end of each day when I look back on my ministry how do I know if I am succeeding? 

And if I think it is difficult to define success in ministry when serving in a church, what will it be like on the mission field?  Will success be the fact that I bought groceries on my own and actually got the food I was intending to buy?  Will success be that in all the stress of a new environment we all got along for the day?  Will success be making a new friend?  A lady who once served in Spain as a missionary said that it takes as much as 8 years to bring a Spaniard to the point that they understand their need for God.  If that is still true, I hope success is not only measured in terms of people I have said the sinner's prayer with.

I wonder what the congregation I serve would say determined success?  According to God, what is success?  I have a lot more thinking, praying, and studying to do today.  What about you?  What would you say determines success in your life?  In the ministry of those around you?  In a missionary?

Hmmm... a lot more thinking for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.