Sunday, August 21, 2011

Choosing Church

I get to choose today whether I go to church or not.  Guess that sounds a little odd written on a blog about a family going to the mission field, but it is one of the few times in the past 8+ years where I have had that choice while at home.

I have served on a church staff for 8+ years and Sunday was a work day and church attendance was part of the job description.  Now don't get me wrong - I didn't go to church because it was a job, I went to worship God.  However, my only choice was am I going to church to worship God or to work - I really didn't have the choice of "am I going to church."  (Of course on vacations I got to choose)

Today when I woke up I realized I had a choice - I could stay put in my pajamas, head to brunch (my favorite meal out), and get a head start on laundry or I could go to church.  Then I realized if I chose church I had no responsibilities to people, I was just going to worship, learn, and fellowship.

I also realized I had taken the choice to go to church for granted.  For the majority of people in a church building this Sunday morning they are there by choice.  They have said "I will fore go the lingering in their pajamas, the leisurely Sunday morning breakfast, and the chance to get a head start on the week so that they can join together with other believers in worshiping God and studying His word."  For most of the last 8 years I woke up each Sunday and knew I was going - there was no choice.

That freedom of choice has put a whole new twist on getting ready this morning.  I have chosen to go to church this morning and I am excited.  I am going to an adult Sunday School class.  I cannot tell you the last time I attended one of these at my home church.  Add to that I am going with Scott to Sunday School - going to be just a little odd.  What about you?  Why are you going this morning?  Are you choosing to go?  I can't wait!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Cindy, for that reminder. Thank YOU LORD for allowing me the privilege and honor to worship You in Your house this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen:)! Say, that map is almost full! Woooohooo!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.