Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Movie: The Other Side of Heaven

We don't have cable TV at our temporary house so we have been watching a variety of old movies from Netflix and whatever we can find on Hulu.  I just finished watching the movie The Other Side of Heaven - a 2001 Walt Disney movie.  It is the story of John Groberg, a mormon missionary sent to the Tongan Islands in the 1950s.

I decided to watch the movie thinking it would give me insight into the methodology of Mormon missions (since this is one of the largest religious groups in Spain).  Instead, it has made me ponder my life.

The movie was not about the Mormon theology, just about the adventures of the missionary.  But still, I wondered throughout the movie, what does this character do or say that is different than me.  I know the truth of Jesus and yet my life often looks just like John Groberg.  I try to do good, I try to love others, I try to live my life so that others see Christ - but do I ever proclaim the truth?

No wonder the world has a hard time discerning the truth.  The truth often looks just like the lies of the world.  What sets the truth apart?  What makes me look different than those following false gods or who have just rejected Christ?  If someone made a movie of my life, would it look just like other "good people" or would people know that I follow the true God?  What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.