Monday, August 29, 2011

Hurricanes and Family

I truly live a crazy life!  No telling what direction life will take me next.

I had my weekend and most of next week all planned out - home together as a family on Friday night, Saturday go to Florence, South Carolina for a family gathering, Sunday morning attend church with an old college friend then drive home, and then on Wednesday Christine, a friend from SEND was coming to stay the night and I would take her to the Charlotte airport on Thursday.  A nice full and tidy schedule.

Then, hurricane Irene threatened to rear her nasty head and my neat and tidy schedule began to change by the hour:

  • My mother-in-law was directly in the path, so Scott headed to Jacksonville, North Carolina to pick up his mom and bring her back to our house on Friday.
  • Christine sent me a facebook message that her flight to Charlotte on Sunday was in jeopardy and she wasn't sure what her schedule was going to be.  We chatted for awhile and she changed her flight to come late Saturday night.  Not a problem, since Scott's mom was coming here he wasn't going to the Florence gathering and could go get Christine.
  • I went to the bank (and then planned to go to the grocery store) and my car wouldn't start when I came out.  Usually that just means it is tired and needs to just sit for 30 minutes or so, so I walked to the grocery store and bought my groceries and brought them back to the car (practicing for being in Spain where I will walk to the store all the time).  
  • While cooking dinner Christine sent me another message that her Saturday flight has now been cancelled.  We talked for awhile and decided she would come that night (yes, it was now 6:00 or later and she coming tonight!)
  • I realized I had bought the wrong cut of chicken and had to go back to the grocery store.
  • I sat the table for dinner and forgot Hannah wasn't here and sat too many places.
  • Scott and his mom arrived home, we visited for awhile, and then I drove to Charlotte to pick up Christine at 11:30 PM.
  • Saturday morning we drove to Florence, and yes, took Christine with me.  She needed a full southern experience!  (read about it at her blog The Journey For Which I Was Made)
  • Came home from SC today and Scott took his mom home today (she has no power, but her house was not damaged - did have a hole in a storage building and a power line down across one of her driveways)

But we have had a blast (well, Scott may not say he has had a blast since he has worked while I have played).  Christine and I have laughed and talked about every topic under the sun.  We visited with family I have not seen in years (we won't talk about how many years).  We introduced Christine to some southern delicacies - boiled peanuts and sweet tea.  We played Dutch Blitz and ate pizza.  We traveled home with laughter.  A Boston butt is in the oven for homemade bar-b-q.  I got to skype with Hannah for an hour (she is doing wonderful - I'll try to get her to do a guest blogger spot soon). Chocolate chip ice cream and Hershey's chocolate shell are in stock for dessert.  Scott is on his way home.  Games are calling our names tonight!

Front porch of my aunt's house
in Florence, South Carolina
Life is good - even when it is not so neat and tidy!

1 comment:

  1. It was great seeing you Saturday, even if we didn't get to attend church together on Sunday. BTW, the freezer is fixed (and we did it ourselves).

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.