Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Blessing of a Believing Family

If you read the last post you know that life was kind of wild this past weekend.  In the middle of all the craziness was Christine, a friend from SEND who was raised in Connecticut and now lives in Philadelphia. Bottom line - she is a northerner.

I invited her to go with me to the family gathering in South Carolina (about as southern style as you can get).  I was giving her a heads up about what it might be like and she was pondering whether to go or stay home with Scott and his mom.  Then I casually said "they are almost all believers."  She immediately wanted to go.

On the way back to NC she and I discussed how welcome she had felt.  Wonder why that it is?  Yes, southerners are known for their hospitality, but it was more than that.  I believe it had more to do that we are all actually part of the same family to begin with - the family of believers.

Wonder how the event would have been different if there were few believers there?  Wonder what the conversations would have sounded like if Christ was not the center of most in attendance?  I wonder how welcome Christine would have felt?

I am truly blessed to be a part of an extended family where the majority place their hope and joy in Jesus.  Thank you Aunt Joann and Uncle Levonne for putting the weekend together (and for welcoming Christine at the last minute).  I had a wonderful time, but it also served to remind me of the blessing of a believing family.

1 comment:

  1. Well, we certainly enjoyed having her, she can be our new cousin! But, that's actually tree, because as you said, we are all part of the family of God!

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.