Friday, August 19, 2011

Settling

Tuesday I went to lunch with Robin and Olga.  Olga is fairly new to the United States (been in the states about 8 months), and although she speaks great English, she sometimes has difficulty either coming up with the right English word or knowing how to prounce the word she knows.  I hope my Spanish is as good as her English at 8 months.

At lunch she wanted to order a glass of wine.  She knew she wanted a glass of white wine and a particular type.  She pronounced it once, twice, three times.  She then described it.  Robin and I guessed at what she was saying.  Finally, she said "don't worry - I'll just settle for a glass of water."

I felt bad for her - all that work and still she just had to settle for water.  Then it hit me!  In just a few weeks I'll have to learn to be happy with settling.  I can only imagine what I'll have to settle for as I attempt to learn a whole new language.   I just hope I'll have the same happy attitude Olga had.

By the way, as we were walking out of the restaurant there were three large bottles of wine on display - one was Chardonnay - what she had been asking for all along.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.