Tuesday, March 2, 2010

What Other People Think - Part 1

Ever realize how much time we (or is it just me) worrying about what other people think?  Ever think about how much time we spend in decision making wondering what someone else is going to say?  How many things in life have we let pass us by because of what other people might think?

Tonight at the gym I met with the personal trainer.  Makes me sound really athletic doesn't it?  Do not be fooled - it is called I need to lose weight and build up some endurance before I have no car in Spain and find myself walking everywhere.  Right after we got started I saw a friend there.  We spoke and then my mind began to run ninety miles an hour.  Are they going to think I was goofing off?  Was I working hard enough for their standard?  Did I look really goofy in the pants and shirt I was wearing?

Later, as the trainer and I were walking laps around the gym we passed the exercise classroom.  I commented to her that I had not tried any classes yet because I wasn't sure I was coordinated enough.  She of course encouraged me to try one and said I would do fine.  I then admitted the real reason - I was afraid of how foolish I was going to look in the class.  Her response was a chuckle.  But the words that followed were true words of wisdom - nobody is looking at you.  The people who are here tonight are here for their own exercise.  They really don't care if you are sweating enough, balanced enough, or working as hard as they are.  Nobody is watching you.

Ooo!  So maybe next week I'll try a class.  But even more so, maybe next time I'll just do what I know I should be doing and not worry about who I think is watching.

And perhaps this lesson has meaning in even more of my life....

1 comment:

  1. left you something on my blog......let me know what class you are taking.....
    pam
    http://motheringthemotherinnc.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.