Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Market

Another food post - I promise I do more than just think about food.

One of my favorite foods here is fresh squeezed orange juice.  It is orange season and oranges and clementines and mandarins are everywhere.  I bought a juicer attachment for my mixer and we have fresh squeezed juice several times a week.  The best place to get the oranges is at the open air market.  It is on our side of town on Tuesdays so I thought I would share a pictorial journey of going to the market today.

A look at the market.  It is about 5 blocks from our apartment. 
It runs the length of a street that is closed off on Tuesdays.  It
occurs regardless of the weather and you can buy mostly fresh produce, underwear, pajamas, and a few purses.  There are also usually a few "odd" things for sale there.  In addition, you will findmany gypsies standing on the opposite side of the street selling things directlyfrom their hands or off a tarp on the ground.

Although I may head to the market in search of a single item I always come home with a cart full.  I use this "granny cart" whether I am going to the open air market or to the grocery store.  Amazing what all can fit in it.

This is what made it home with me today.  I spent $10 Euros (about $13.75 in US Dollars).  It included 8 kg of juice oranges, 3 kg of green grapes (which by the way have seeds), 5 small pears, 3 bananas, and 3 kg of vine ripe tomatoes. 

1 comment:

  1. In Costa Rica, we peel our bananas, place them in plastic wrap and freeze them, then put them through the juicer and they come out as ice-cream. No sugar or anything added, except sometimes the kids get out the Hershey's chocolate syrup and drizzle a little of that over it. Right now we are on furlough and missing orange season...I'm almost crying!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.