Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Worship

We are in Michigan at SEND International's Family Conference.  Sunday night we sat in the sanctuary of a "borrowed" church worshiping with 200+ other family units that serve in missions.   It was one of the most powerful worship experiences I have had in a while and the question resonated within me as "why?" 

Later that night the speaker quoted John Piper by saying a quote familiar to me... "missions exist because worship does not."  It hit me that the reason the worship was so powerful was that many of the people in that room serve in places where corporate worship does not exist.  For many this was a "treat" to stand together and worship in their heart language with other believers. 

For most, corporate worship was not a routine or something that just happens every Sunday, it was a special occassion and they were pouring their hearts and lives out to Christ that night.  Made me wonder a couple of things... how often do I take the privilege of worship for granted?  How often do I wander into the sanctuary of my home church, sing a few songs, listen to a sermon, and walk away unchanged.  I get to do it every week so what is the big deal?  What about you?

The other thing I realized is that I don't pray for those serving in foreign fields as much as I should.  There is something powerful, encouraging, uplifting, life changing, and more in corporate worship.  A life serving in a foreign field is often without corporate worship and they must find different ways to worship and fellowship.  I began to process the power of corporate worship and life without it.  I began to consider the need for alternatives to corporate worship - a strong personal worship lifestyle.  Am I preparing myself for this?

I must say, the next time I walk into the sanctuary with hundreds of other believers I will consider that experience with a whole new perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.