Monday, July 11, 2011

My Peanut Butter Friends

Last year near the beginning of VBS I was blessed to stand in the hallway and talk with a couple who would soon leave a permanent mark on my life.  We discussed peanut butter and Reese cups and the difficulty in finding those items in Spain.  We laughed about my belief that chocolate is a major food group and that when there is no chocolate, a spoonful of peanut butter serves as an acceptable substitute. They both wholeheartedly agreed.

One year later I know that I am blessed by a friendship, the kind of friendship that only comes along on a rare occasion.  Today I want you to meet my dear friends.... Bill and Gloria.

Bill and Gloria are not your ordinary retired couple.  They have not lived the ordinary life for the past 20 years.  You see, when Bill was a father of  young children life took an unexpected turn.  Bill had a series of strokes and left him permanently in a wheelchair.  His speech is often difficult to understand and he depends on Gloria for much assistance. 

Over the past year I have enjoyed getting to know them beyond the wheelchair and they have challenged me to be a better woman.  Not once have I heard Bill complain or have a frown on his face.  Each time I look at Gloria I see a beautiful example of a Godly wife.  Her love for Bill shines through every time I see her.  She has stuck by in "sickness and in health."  I am sure they both have had their days where life just seems totally unfair, but the couple I have met shows a picture of marriage and Christian faith that challenges me - if I were in either of their shoes, what would someone say about me.

But what does this have to do with peanut butter?  Well, in that original conversation I had with them I learned that Bill keeps dog treats in his wheelchair bag for the dogs he passes when he goes for a "walk."  I wanted to know why he didn't have treats in his bag for me.  Well, over the past year he has consistently put an extra treat in the bag for me... always Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - sometimes one, sometimes a whole bag full.

Last week my stress level was off the chart and I wrote the post On a Scale of 1 to 10 and then headed to work for VBS workday.  Early in the morning I found Bill and Gloria waiting in the hallway (by the way, Bill helps with all the data entry for VBS and Gloria is teaching crafts this year).  I made a little joke about hiding from the chaos and was told no, they were waiting on me.  Then out of his bag came a Reese's Peanut Butter Bar (oh - if you have not tried those yet... they are even better than the cups).  They figured I needed a little stress relief.

I am so very blessed to know Bill and Gloria and wherever they go they leave a sweet scent of God's love.  Bill and Gloria - I know you will want to wring my neck for this - but I want the world to know that I have been blessed by your friendship and your example.  I pray that as curves of life unexpectedly enter the path of my life I can live with half the grace you represent.  Thank you for your friendship and for the peanut butter.

1 comment:

  1. They truly are a great example of a till death do you part couple. I have known Bill and Gloria for about 17 years now. I know first hand the struggles they go through in life. Bill and Gloria do have there days but I am blessed to have them as in-laws. Well actually I think of them as another set of parents for me to love. May they be blessed by GOD and continue to be the godly couple that I can learn by.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.