Saturday, December 15, 2012

#15 - Comfort and Chicken Casserole

All over facebook and other social media sites are words of comfort, personal opinions, and political views in regards to the terrible events in Connecticut yesterday.  I have felt torn as I considered how many families were mourning and yet I was celebrating Hannah's arrival today.  And as I processed the stark differences I was reminded that although events in life may cause great hurt, hurt that cannot be understood, I know the one who is able to comfort beyond all measures.  The circumstances may not change, but He is able to hold my heart in His gentle and merciful hands.  I may not have experienced the losses that the families in Connecticut are experiencing tonight, and I pray that I never have to, but I can testify without a doubt, that in each and every circumstance where my world has felt like it was falling down around me, He kept his promise to "comfort us every time we have trouble."


2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is the Father who is full of mercy and all comfort. 4 He comforts us every time we have trouble, so when others have trouble, we can comfort them with the same comfort God gives us.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Chicken Casserole
(this is a favorite family recipe, a favorite for covered dish meals, a favorite to take to someone who is sick, and easy to freeze - unbaked)
 
  • 1 whole chicken, stewed and deboned - reserve broth
  • 1 small package of Pepperidge Farm Cornbread Stuffing
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can cream of celery soup
  1. Combine stuffing, onion, and butter.
  2. In a 9 x 13 baking dish (or two 8 x 8 pans) spread 1/2 of the cornbread mixture.
  3. Shred the chicken and place over the cornbread mixture.
  4. Mix celery soup with 1 can of chicken broth.
  5. Pour over chicken.
  6. Top with remaining cornbread mixture.
  7. Mix chicken soup with 1 can of chicken broth.
  8. Pour on top.
  9. If you want to freeze - at this point wrap well with foil and place in freezer. When ready to prepare, allow to defrost completely before baking.
  10. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and browning around the edges.
*I have used left over turkey to prepare this recipe as well as only stewed chicken breasts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.