Monday, December 3, 2012

#3 Language Light Bulb and Pot Roast

I may never sound Spanish when I speak in Spanish, but I want to at least be understood.  For the longest time I have felt like there was no hope of ever learning spanish.  I was even ready to settle for just barely passing the exam and scraping by.  Yet, there was this nagging feeling that I was short changing God in this decision.  I have continued to pray for God to intervene in my Spanish, yet... every day I struggle.  In teaching children's church in November I taught the kids in church that you need to read with a filter that you believe what God says is true.  And as I began to think through the promises this month I had to ask myself if I truly believed that as well.  

Did I believe EVERYTHING he said was true, including his promises relating to my language?  

Today in class, I had a light bulb moment - well, actually two - God will keep his promises...

He promises to equip those He calls:  "that the person dedicated to God may be capable and equipped for every good work."  2 Timothy 3:17

... which means He will equip me to learn Spanish and today He provided a light bulb moment to remind me.

I struggle with pronunciation.  I can write and read, but saying the words never comes out right.  And today, in class I figured out why.  (To some of you this won't make sense - but to my spanish speakers it will)  You are taught in the beginning of Spanish that every letter has a sound that it always says.  Unfortunately, I have applied hat rule a little too strictly.  Because I made sure every vowel was being pronounced and when there were two vowels together I ended up turning this into two syllables.  And when you do this (making one syllable end with a vowel and the next syllable start with a vowel), the accent always ends up on sounding as if it were on the syllable that ends with vowel, but in actuality, it should be on the 2nd vowel.  Both vowels don't get pronounced seperately, they are pronounced together and make one syllable.  My how different I sound using this rule!  A long way to go - but there is hope and He does keep His promises!

And a long time family favorite...

Marinated Chuck Roast

  • 3-4 pound boneless chuck roast
  • Meat Tenderizer
  • 5 oz soy sauce
  • 1 1/2 c water
  • 1 T lemon juice
  • 1/2 c brown sugar
  • 1 tsp worcestershire
  • 1/2 c bourbon (optional)
  1. Sprinkle roast with meat tenderizer and prick with fork.
  2. combine remaining ingredients.
  3. Pour over roast, cover, and refrigerate at least 12 hours.
  4. Cook over hot coals for 30 - 45 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.