Wednesday, December 19, 2012

#18 and 19 - Details, Details and Sock It To Me Cake

I am a detail kind of person.  I make lists that are VERY specific and I ask a thousand questions about everything.  I need to understand things to the most minuscule detail and then I turn around and plan in the same fashion.  I don't just make a grocery list, I divide it by departments and put it in the order of the grocery store (or now, in order of the indoor market where I shop at a variety of meat stores, chicken stores, fruit and vegetable stores, ...).  At one point in my life I actually had a computerized grocery list of my favorite grocery store ordered not in only in order of the store, but in the direction I always walked up and down the aisles.  I know - a little compulsive, huh?

But what I think is cool is that I serve a God who is into details too.  He doesn't just throw out this general plan to save the world and sit back and see if some team can make it happen.  He has every tiny detail under control.  Whew!  For someone like me, that is a huge relief!

#18 Genesis 12:1-3 

The Lord had said to Abram, “Go from your country, your people and your father’s household to the land I will show you.  “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you, I will make your name great,and you will be a blessing.  I will bless those who bless you and whoever curses you I will curse;and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you.

And sure enough, Matthew 1:1 says "This is the genealogy of Jesus the Messiah the son of David,the son of Abraham."

#19 Isaiah 9:7  

Of the greatness of his government and peace there will be no end.  He will reign on David’s throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the Lord Almighty will accomplish this.

And guess what, somewhere between 500 and 700 years later (I know 200 years is a big gap, but scholars don't know for sure when each chapter was written and it took almost 200 years to finish Isaiah), Luke 1:31-32 reports this:  "You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus.  He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sock It To Me Cake
(this cake works great as both a simple dessert or as a coffee cake)

Cake:
  • 1 Butter Recipe Cake Mix (any boxed cake that is yellow and known for being super moist will work) - reserve 2 Tbsp cake mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 c sour cream
  • 1/3 c oil
  • 1/4 c water
  • 1/4 c sugar
Streusel:
  • 2 Tbsp cake mix 
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 c pecans (optional)
Glaze:
  • 1 c confectioner's sugar
  • 1 - 2 Tbsp milk
  1. Combine all cake ingredients.
  2. Beat at medium speed for 2 minutes.
  3. Pour 2/3 into greased and floured tube/bundt pan.
  4. Combine all streusel ingredients.
  5. Sprinkle on top of cake mix.
  6. Spoon remaining cake batter on top.
  7. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 - 55 minutes.
  8. Cool 25 minutes.
  9. Invert onto cake plate and cool completely.
  10. Combine glaze ingredients and drizzle over cooled cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.