Thursday, April 26, 2012

Strawberry Cake

Growing up we only visited my father's side of the family once or twice a year because of the distance from our home in Florida to their homes in SC.  Every time we went, however, I was guaranteed a strawberry cake - regardless of the time of the year.  My Great Aunt Wanetta would often even make two cakes - one to share with everyone, and one for me to take with me.  Come to think of it, I have a lot of food memories associated with our visits to SC - pound cake, Chicken and Dumplings, Biscuits, Bar-b-Q,...

However, there is no cake that compares to her strawberry cake.

2 sticks butter
1/2 c Crisco
3 c sugar
6 eggs
3 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 c evaporated milk

Cream butter, Crisco, and sugar.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add flour, baking powder, and salt. Finally add vanilla and milk.

Bake in 3 layers for 20 minutes at 350 degrees or in a 9 x 12 pan at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

Layer cake with fresh strawberries and cool whip.  Ice the entire outside with cool whip as well.

(In Spain there is no cool whip, so I am using fresh whipping cream in place.  YUM!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.