Monday, April 2, 2012

A God Size Answer

If you have read any post here lately you know that today I took the theory part of my driving exam.  I really have no idea how I did, but the results are for another post (you find out the day after the exam). But, as I promised God, HE alone gets the glory, regardless of my score.  And HE answered one of today's prayers in a way bigger than I ever imagined.

Let me back up and explain today's process...

.... first I took Alex to the train station with me this morning.  He doesn't have school at all this week and Scott and I have school today and tomorrow.  God graciously  presented an opportunity for Alex to spend the day getting to know a team member better, allowing both Scott and I to focus on the task at hand without worrying or guilt about Alex.  Thank you to this family for being the first answer to many prayers!

.... then I got on the train (going in the opposite direction of Alex) and rode into Madrid - about an hour ride. 

... then when I got off the train I searched for where I would catch the bus to the test center - but the map that the lady at the driving school drew really didn't make sense to me, but no worries, yet - I was headed to the driving school and would ask again. 

... walked 10 minutes to the driving school and paid for my bus ticket, asked again about the bus stop and she showed me the same map with the same directions, so figured I must have just missed something and prayed a quick prayer that I would find it and not miss the bus.

... studied for an hour more at the driving school - doing practice tests.

... 30 minutes before time for bus I packed up and made a bathroom trip at the driving school (yes, that is an important detail to this story!)

... as I was coming out of the bathroom a Spanish lady was coming in.  She asked if I was going to take the exam and I replied yes.  She asked if I wanted to walk to the bus stop together.  Uh, yes... especially if you have a clue where we are going!  Thinking this was the end of my answer to my prayer I waited and we began to walk together.

... as we were walking and conversing in Spanish (thank goodness she was very patient) we asked the normal get to know you questions - where are you from, how many times have you taken the test, are you nervous, ...  then came the question that I always wonder exactly how to answer.  Do you work in Spain?  My answer today was "not yet, I am learning Spanish (and she smiled - probably meaning I surely hope so!), but when we master a little more language we will be working with the evangelical church."  Her entire demeanor changed.  Her face lit up.  She says "you are a born again believer?  I am too!"  Then she tells me she speaks English!

... remember, we work in an area where less than 1% of the population is evangelical - so you tell me the odds of running into a lady in the bathroom of the driving school that speaks English, is heading to the same bus stop I am, and is an evangelical believer. 

... We talked the entire time we waited on the bus (not where I thought it was supposed to be), the entire hour trip to the bus stop, and the 30 minutes while we were waiting on the test.  After the test she met me back on the bus and we talked about God being in charge of the results - we did our part in preparation and He would handle the rest, regardless of the score.

... She was getting off at an earlier stop for an appointment, but before she got off she asked for us to exchange numbers and wanted to know if I would like to get together again to practice Spanish because missionaries were needed in Spain and practicing would speed up our opportunity to share.

Now how is that for an answer to a quick little prayer breathed in the moment of worry?  God gets the glory for today's encounter and tomorrow's scores - regardless!  (but I am still praying that I passed).

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.