Monday, May 7, 2012

Two Successes and a Failure

So I guess you call the day a success if you have more successes than failures.

So first the successes...

1)  My regular fruit and fish store has closed (product of the economic crisis) so I have had to go to a new one lately.  A couple months ago I had bought cucumbers from this place that were the best we had so far, so I returned to them.  It's a little further away, but can be on the way home from school if I want.  Today I stopped for a long list (hint to self - next time list is this long go home and get rolling cart first - it is a long way to walk with lots of stuff).  About a month ago I bought Pink Lady Apples there but they have not had them since.  The kids keep trying other types, but so far nothing they really like as much.  Every time I go in I ask for Pink Ladies and he tells me no, they have such and such type.  Today, I asked again and he says "tomorrow, for you, because you keep coming back and are such a good woman I will have them, for sure!"  I keep going back because they are patient with teaching me language, reinforce me when I say things right, and speak slowly enough I can understand them.  Now I will keep going back because he is getting the kids the apples they want.  Success #1.

2)  After the fruit store I headed to m my favorite meat store.  I have used the same one since arriving and you have probably read many of the funny stories of my buying meat from them.  Today I used the right vocabulary for everything - even the pork chops that he didn't have and the new type of beans I was buying.  The butcher made me day when after each item I ordered he responds with "perfecto."  At the end (cause he says perfecto not because my words are right but because he is giving me what I want) he says "tu espanol es muy bien - very good."  Ahh - progress!

And then there was the failure....

Last night I put black beans in to soak for lunch today.  This morning I put them in the crock pot to cook while in class.  Unfortunately, I forgot a very important part of cooking in a crock pot - plugging it up.  So the beans are soaked - really well, but not cooked.  Thank goodness for a pressure cooker!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.