Sunday, April 1, 2012

Out of Left Field

Today we celebrate living in Spain for 6 months.  There are days that it feels like we have been here for an eternity, whereas other days it feels like it has passed in the blink of an eye.  Everyday things feel a little more comfortable, but then there are days where life is still difficult.  There are times when we know a hard season is ahead of us and we prepare - draw a little closer to each other, put up some walls of defense, and set aside time to process the emotions - however, there are times that life seems to be sailing along ok and bang!

Out of left field some emotion reaches out and slaps you in the face.  There's no time to prepare for the surprise and life keeps on going, leaving you standing there wondering what just ran over you.

Last week I spent a wonderful week in Germany with nearly 50 other women who serve with SEND throughout Europe.  The speaker was encouraging, the fellowship was warm, the time to rest was wonderful, and of course the late night game time was filled with laughter.  It was all in English!  I had no decisions to make, no stores to navigate, no driving, just pretending life was simple and stress free.

As we were saying our final goodbyes at the airport and I hugged a dear friend goodbye it hit!  She was heading to the states, everyone was talking about going "home," and I was going somewhere that I wasn't sure what to call.  I wanted to cling with all I had to this friend and beg her to let me go with her to the states and yet I knew I couldn't.  Teammates around me were asking if I was ready to be home and yes was my answer, but I wasn't sure where that was.

Everyone says it is normal - but I sure much prefer the times when I can prepare in advance.  I like surprises, such as gifts, trips, dinner, new outfits, and more... but emotions, no thank you.

This week is filled with my driving test, waiting on the results, catching up with Spanish language lessons, laundry, college paperwork, and hopefully some time to explore some new pueblos around here.  Praying that there are no hidden emotional bombs set along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.