Monday, April 25, 2011

Divorce

No, I am not getting a divorce.  One of our assignments before we can leave for Spain is to read 400 pages relating to the culture of Spain.  Needing to check something off my list and Scott knowing that he has a seminary class to go, we decided to tackle the reading.  I was dreading it, but instead am overwhelmed by what has happened in my lifetime that I totally missed. 

Divorce was not legal in Spain until 1981.  Franco and Catholicism insured that.  It was one of the by-products of their sort of democracy.  Interestingly enough, however, that by 2007 Spain had the highest divorce rate of all of  the other European Union countries. 

As I was reading this history book (I know for many of you that is a surprise in itself) I really saw how God had once again been preparing me for Spain.  Scott and I are happily married today, but there were days when I thought we too would be a statistic.  I'm sure most of us can say that.  The difference for us is a commitment to our Lord and to our vows.  We believed in forgiveness.  We knew a love that was greater than any of our faults.  We had something to hold on other than the faults of the other. 

I pray today that God will continue to send His Holy Spirit to protect our marriage.  I pray that our eyes will remain on Him.  I pray that our dependence on Him will shine through as we prepare to meet couples in Spain who may have walked the exact same steps we have walked yet believe the freedom to walk away is greater than the faith to stay.  Just one more reason the light of Christ is needed to be shown in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.