Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Choosing to Cheat

I just recently read a book by Andy Stanley called Choosing to Cheat.  The premise of the book is that every decision you make equals choosing to cheat someone.  If I choose to go to a meeting after work, I choose to cheat my family from their time.  If I choose to skip the meeting and go home, I choose to cheat work.  If I choose to make going to the gym after work each day a priority, I choose to cheat the kids waiting on me at home.  If I choose to go home and not go to the gym regularly, I choose to cheat my physical health.  Get the picture?

Some cheating is healthy, some is not.  He then challenges the read to start deciding who you have been cheating too much and who you shouldn't be.  His litmus test.... figure out what "hats" in your life can only be worn by you and what "hats" can be worn by others.  For example, I am the only wife and the only mother in this house.  Yes, sometimes I have to cheat my husband and children, but the question is - do I cheat them more than I cheat other roles that are possible to be filled by others. 

Still confused, read the book - it made me do a lot of thinking about my life style and schedule.

But you know, God never speaks to you about something without having a purpose.  It has taken me about two months to get through the book - it is short and an easy read - just kept having to put it down and pray through and process through what he was writing about.  I confessed a need to examine my "cheating" and asked for strength to put into practice what God was convicting me of.  Be careful of that prayer!

Well, a dear aunt of mine died last night.  She is rejoicing today in heaven with Jesus, who she so dearly loved.  She is free of the horrible disease of alzheimer's and all that it stole from her has been restored.  I have many, many memories of times spent with her and there is nothing that will keep me from celebrating her homecoming with family on Sunday... or is there?

Saturday is pinewood derby and Sunday night is the Marriage conference.  I am in charge of childcare for 80+ children.  My first thought was "maybe I shouldn't go."  But then that still, small voice said to me "what 'hat' is the only one you can wear and what other 'hats' can others wear?  Ouch!  I'm not indispensable.  I am replaceable. 

It might not be the popular decision.  It might not be the easiest decision.  But I will choose to "cheat" the childcare and pinewood derby - others are capable of helping in those places - and I will be at Aunt Mary's homecoming celebration.  You know, there is some freedom in "cheating."

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.