Friday, February 11, 2011

In Memory Of Mary Ellerbe Williams


This is such a perfect picture of times with the Ellerbe kids.  From left to right those pictured above are:

My mom - the 2nd oldest of the kids
Gene Ellerbe - the "baby" and only boy
Mary Williams - the oldest and first to meet Jesus face to face
Carol Coker - the youngest girl

When you get the four of them together there is always laughter.  There are stories to be told - some from a long time ago, some from yesterday - but they all end in laughter.  They "egg" each other on and love to include all those around in the sibling fun.  What a crazy group of adults, yet I have such distinct memories with each of them.

My Aunt Mary was diagnosed with Alzheimer's many years ago.  It was sad to watch her laughter slip away.  She lost almost all of her memory and then ability for her body to function.  I have not seen her in the last year, but I have talked about her and heard about her.  The one thing I have continued to hear in the reports is that she still remembers the old hymns.  She may have lost her memory of who her family and friends are or how to eat and walk, yet she still remembers how to praise the Lord.  Didn't surprise me at all that praise of the Lord she loved was what remained at the core of who she was. Has made me wonder when I reach the end of my life what is at the core of my mind that will remain to the end?

Mary had two daughters - Jacqui, who is slightly older than me, and Amy, who is slightly younger than me.  Needless to say when the Ellerbe kids got together the Ellerbe grandchildren were involved in the fun.  Jacqui, Amy and I (as well as the other grandchildren) all knew how to laugh right along with them.  We knew how to "egg" them on for stories too.  When we lived in Florida I would spend days with Mary and her kids.  I even remember I became a "woman" at her house.  

Peanut Butter fudge was her specialty.  She knew it was my favorite and if I was coming she fixed it.  Up until just a few years ago she made sure it was available whenever I showed up.  She tried to teach me to fix it, but finally gave up and just said "let me fix it for you."  I am hopeless at making fudge!

Mary met her Lord face to face on Tuesday.  After all the years of teaching Sunday School she is now experiencing all she taught.  I can only imagine her laughter in heaven today.  She will be missed here on earth, but I know without a doubt she is right "at home" in heaven and I will see her again!  What a peace that comes with that knowledge.  Just wonder, will she be able to make me fudge in heaven?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.