Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Cars and Bikes

Never bored at the Hunter house!

The temperatures are cooling down and I am once again focusing on losing a little more weight (personal shout out - have lost nearly 20 pounds since arriving in Spain and would like to lose 20 more :) ), so invited Alex to go for a bike ride last night.  Scott is still nursing a hurt back, so he stayed home.  Needless to say, I grew tired way before Alex, so I returned home and he went to do one more time around the block.

Just as I got home my cell phone rang (we require Alex to always wear a helmet and always have his cell phone with him) and I jokingly said "please don't be Alex and he be hurt."  Needless to say it was him and the first words out of his mouth were "I was hit by a car."  My heart stopped beating and I had enough sense to say "are you hurt?"  He assured me he wasn't and told me where he was.

Side note, our car is in the shop - every time you unlock the car the trunk door opens - so we were without a car.  I got back on my bike and Scott started walking.

Sure enough, overall he was ok.  Lots of scrapes and bruises and is sore today, but nothing serious.  However, when we began to converse with the driver of the car, he wanted us to take full responsibility for the accident and pay for the damage to his car (the passenger side window broke when Alex's shoulder hit it and there is a scrape from the bike).  Alex's version of the story at best made the accident the driver's fault, and at worse they both shared fault.  Due to our limited Spanish we called our teammate who joined us at the site.

After more discussion, the driver decided to call the police (this is not required in Spain unless both parties do not agree to the circumstances in an accident).  The police came and after another 30+ minutes of standing on the corner (did I happen to mention I was still in bike clothes - not the clothes I wear with friends and definitely not in public?), the police explained what would happen next:

  • we were required to take Alex to the Health Center (aka emergency room in a small town) to be checked
  • after the doctor saw him we would need to bring the papers to the police station
  • the police would then process the report to the judge (who also does detective work, not just ruling) and the driver's insurance company
  • together the judge and insurance company would decide fault and who needed to pay for what
We are so grateful to God that Alex was not seriously hurt - he was coming down a pretty steep hill and could have been seriously injured.  We are grateful for teammates who dropped everything and helped with translation and driving until nearly 11:00.  And we were grateful that Telepizza was still open, because when it was all over we were all starving - dinner hour had been missed.

1 comment:

  1. So glad Alex is ok!! Did you earn a few gray hairs last night?? I know I would have! Marcia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.