Monday, April 19, 2010

Till Death Do Us Part

Today I am celebrating my 23rd wedding anniversary.  There were days I was not sure I would see 23 years of marriage.  There have been times when I was sure I missed God's will and had married the wrong man.  We had decided from the beginning of marriage that divorce was never an option so there were days when I had conversations with God about death (and not always mine).  Now before you get all self righteous on me, laugh a little and admit you have probably had those same thoughts.

But today, I can truly say I can't wait to celebrate my 50th wedding anniversary! 

What caused the change?  Prayer.  The day that Scott asked me if we could begin praying together I knew that there were many, many more anniversaries ahead.  This morning our pastor preached on the power of prayer (James 5).  He talked about the power of prayer when you are having problems or pain.  I am here to testify that He is right.  Prayer has power.  Prayer changes lives.  Prayer may change circumstances, or it may give you God's grace to endure circumstances.

My advice to couples who are struggling to make it to their next anniversary?  Ask yourself, when was the last time you prayed for your marriage?  When was the last time you prayed for your part in the marriage?  And even bigger question - when was the last time you took your spouse's hand and came before the throne of God together and asked for God's grace in your marriage?  Men - wanna know the fastest way to your wife's heart - pray for her in front of her and do it out loud. 

I know, I know - some of you are saying "but,..." - I don't have all the answers to all the "buts," but I promise you there is more power in prayer than you can imagine.  Not prayers said to the wall, but prayers to a living God that are voiced by a believing, faithful servant.  Start where you are.  Unleash the power and stand back and watch what God can do!

2 comments:

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.