Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day #7 - Freedom of Religion, I think


(edited version)
Running late this morning, so you'll have to wait until this evening to answer the question I know this title
created.  Why does she think she is thankful for freedom of religion?  Shouldn't she be ecstatic about it?

Great morning at church with two families heading to the mission field - one is heading to Madagascar, one is heading to a place where it is illegal to be a Christian.  Made me ponder just a little more my thankful topic for today.

I am grateful for religious freedom.  I am grateful that I can bow my head in prayer or raise my voice in praise and not risk being put in prison or worse.  I am grateful that I have the freedom to believe in whatever religion I desire, and very grateful that I know the one true God.

But, I think that freedom sometimes prevents me from really experiencing God.  I think that freedom may even be a part of why we Americans are not seeing a great change in the christian community. 

This is a great map of the status of the evangelism of people groups of the world.  Look at countries where persecution of Christians occurs.  The colors are changing.  Christianity is growing.  Someone recently said me to me that Christianity almost always flourishes when they are persecuted for their beliefs.  I'm not sure I agree with the "almost always" but it did make me think.  Wonder why that might be true?  The answer - you can't be a lukewarm christian under persecution.  Either you believe with everything you are and are willing to risk it all for what you believe, or yo don't. 

So perhaps, this freedom of religion that I have keeps me (and maybe you) from experiencing Christ for all He is.  Perhaps, just maybe, this freedom of religion allows me to be a baby christian for way too long.

Just something to think about today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.