Saturday, November 20, 2010

#20 - Moments that can only be comforted by Christ

This morning I find myself in a dark hotel room trying to be quiet for a little while longer (Hannah and I are doing two college visits and she, like any good teenager, is sound asleep and I am wide awake).  My normal routine is to begin my morning with prayer, before my feet even hit the floor.  (don't put me on a pedestal for that behavior - many days that prayer is just a desperate cry to get me out of bed and through the day)   This morning as I was praying a name and a situation began to weigh heavily on my heart.

It had nothing to do with today.  It was someone I needed to talk with later this week, but my busy brain had not even begun to think through that.  Yet, I couldn't shake it from my thoughts.  I prayed for the person and I prayed for the situation.  I even prayed for my reaction without knowing I was going to need to allow God to be my reaction.  I then got up and turned on the computer.

The first thing I saw was an email relating to the situation.  It was sent at nearly midnight last night and was not what I was expecting (or even wanting) in regards to the situation.  I really wasn't even expecting anything to be said about it until middle of next week.  Yet there it was.

And yet immediately, even though there was hurt and disappointment, frustration and even a little anger - the presence of Christ was here.  He prepared me before I walked into this situation and He was present as I read the e-mail.  I felt Him.  And as I process the disappointment I know that Christ, who walked before me, will continue to be my comforter. 

This is just a little thing, yet it has reminded me this morning that God does give me glimpses of His character so very often.  He is the Great Comforter.   And this morning, as in many other moments of this journey, He is the only one capable of comforting.

1 comment:

  1. Mrs. Hunter, as I have been doing for the past week, at exit 203 at 7:45 yesterday morning I was praying for you and your family. I was praying for God's preparation for you to launch into missions. I was praying for the Holy Spirit to comfort you in times when you couldn't see what God was doing, like I keep asking him to do for me. I was interceding for you that in your times of trial that Christ alone would be your comfort, your protection, your shield and your guidance. God answers prayer...I look at your post from today and become overwhelmed with God's great love for you and for me.

    Mr. Vermont

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.