Wednesday, November 17, 2010

#16 - Eye Opening Experiences

It would be so easy to live in a little bubble and never travel outside not only my comfort zone, but my "world."  Last night our family, along with another family, was blessed with the opportunity to deliver Thanksgiving meals to 20 refugee families.  The majority were Burmese, but a few were from Vietnam and the Congo.   They did not know we were coming and they spoke very little English. 

Thank goodness a friend who works with a ministry to them accompanied us because we would have been lost (it was dark and we didn't have apartment addresses) and probably uncomfortable.  But she knew every name, knocked on the door, and soon we found ourselves inside being introduced as her "christian friends" and listening to her try to explain to the only one who spoke English in the house (usually a young child) about thawing the turkey before you cook it and how to fix it.

I have lived in this area for a total of 16 years.  I knew there were some refugees in Greensboro, but I had no clue how many.  I never stopped and thought of why they were here.  I lumped them all into the same category - people who moved from other countries to find a job. 

These people are here because they fear for their life.  God broke my heart for these people as our friend shared pieces of information and stories.  As we were leaving she shared one final story, one I'd like you to consider.

There are three children living alone - ages 17, 18, and 19.  They fled here on student visas because they are faster to get than refugee status and they did not have time to wait.  Their father was a medical doctor and was killed first.  Their mother was then killed.  Their two older brothers have disappeared and are believed to have been killed.  It was declared the entire family would be killed.  They have no source of income here (student visas prevent them from working).  They have no source of transportation.  They speak very little English.  Their visas are only good for one year.  And, they do not know Jesus. 

All night I had to ponder what would Jesus do?  And if I know the answer to that question, then what will Cindy do?  And if you are reading this, the question goes a little further, what will you do?

No longer is "ignorance bliss" allowed once God allows these experiences.  So, what will we do?

(We talked with our friend last night about opportunities to minister.  If you want to know more, send me a note)

Today I am thankful that God often steps into my life and allows eye opening experiences.  May I never be the same afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.