Friday, January 29, 2010

Covenant Signing

We are official!  Today we signed our Spiritual Covenant with SEND.  It was an exciting time.  The personnel team chair is an associate pastor of a local church.  He shared a devotion entitled "Strive for the Towel."  It was a title that made Scott and I both to look at each other and say "Huh?"  But after the sermon that is my goal.

He took us to the passage where Jesus is washing the feet of the disciples in the upper room.  Jesus didn't strive to be greatest in title or in job description.  He didn't declare who he was and expect everyone to be ready to bow down at his feet and serve him.  Instead he picked up the towel and began to wash the feet of the disciples.  He became a servant not so that he could crow about how humble he was, but instead because it was who He was.

Do I do "servant' work so that people talk about how hard of a worker I am or so that I get recognition for my humility?  Or do I take up my towel and "wash other people's feet" with a heart and attitude that matches the motivation that Jesus had that night? 

We have a few more logistic sessions in the morning and then hope to be on the road around 3:00 tomorrow afternoon.  We are leaving Michigan where it is bitter cold (5 degrees F tonight before the wind chill) and heading into a forecasted snow storm in NC.  Pray for our safety and wisdom as we drive home.

We had a 2nd showing on our house today.  It is the family's favorite choice, but they still have a home in another state to sell.  Their house is showing so as you pray for the sale of our house, add them to your prayer list too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.