Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Vocabulary Does NOT equal Understanding

I just had to laugh.  I was so excited I knew the words for a whole, cut up chicken and was thrilled to find exactly what I wanted.  In America a whole, cut up chicken is 8 pieces - 2 each of legs, thighs, breasts, and wings.  Perfect for frying or other recipes that call for whole pieces.

However, knowing the words here does not equal understanding what you are getting.  A whole, cut up chicken here is closer to 25 or more pieces!  They literally mean cut-up!  Oh well, glad I was making chicken soup this time.

4 comments:

  1. That is priceless!!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA. less work, then? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can´t imagine how many times I´ve wished for a pollería here to be able to get my chicken cut up that way again. It´s perfect for pollo al ajillo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time ask for "en cuartos" and "corte muslo y contra-muslo" you have your 8 pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.