Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Does the Fine Print Matter?

I have struggled all week over this post.  Not because I think this post will be controversial or anything like that, but instead it involves sharing some very transparent thoughts regarding how my Christian worldview and faith is played out in the real world.

Last week in a casual conversation about a "good" activity that was coming, someone made my vision of good come crashing down.  You see, I was talking about a charitable activity that was coming up in my life and what a great idea I thought it was and what a difference this charity was making.  Then the person in this conversation asked me if I knew that this charity gave a portion of its proceeds to Planned Parenthood.

Oh wait!  That wasn't part of the plan.  So, thinking they were overreacting - not sure how I could think anything related to funding abortions was overreacting, but it was a more comfortable reaction - I did some research.  Sure enough, but they did a good job justifying it - again, not sure how I could think that one either.

Then came the question - so what am I going to do about this information.  My first thought was shout it from a facebook status - but realized that was just to stir a pot of controversy and get attention.  Thankfully I prayed before I typed.  My next reaction was to tell everyone I encountered - but again, that wasn't for any good reasons, other than to let others feel as uncomfortable as I was.  Then my next reaction was to talk privately with someone I respected and seek their advice and direction - should I tell the activity coordinators this piece of information and demand they pick a new activity?  Their advice - pray about (now why wasn't that my first reaction?) and seek God's direction in how to handle it.

Hannah had been involved in the original conversation and she is taking a worldview class, so we began to hash it out.  Did their justification make it ok to support a charity (via another one) that I disagreed with?  Was it ok to keep the information to myself and just not support the activity (ignorance bliss for the rest)?  I have influence with the group sponsoring the activity, should I use this influence and insist on a change or lead them to make a change?  And it all kept coming back to the thought, but they are doing great work.  They are changing the face of the world they touch.  What happens if all Christians pull out their support?  Who else will do what they are doing?  Then through the conversations with Hannah we came to this question...

"Do I have enough faith in God to believe that even without giving in to what I believe is wrong He can provide?  He can accomplish all that is needed to be accomplished without compromising?

I'm still working through these questions and still listening to all God wants to teach me.  I can't say I have honestly figured out all the answers, but I can say there is something refreshing in going through this discovery process with scripture and prayer.  I am also grateful that I serve a God who allows me to come to Him with an honest and earnest desire to draw closer to Him and to seek to walk in His ways.

Before you judge my reaction, what about you?  What would you do?  What if this charity deals with a topic very close to your heart?

One last lesson I learned, do your homework.  Before I support another charity I will do a lot more research than ever before.  Ignorant bliss is no longer an option.

2 comments:

  1. I would consider offering another alternative organization to support if it wouldn't be too disruptive. So far you have acted in good faith. You now have an obligation to educate those around you about future support.

    BCRF is a good alternative to SGK but there are others. Many other people have had the same issues and wondered what to do about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be praying for the Lord to reveal what He wants to do in this situation with you. Sometimes it "hurts" to grow and be stretched (that being your new awareness of these types of issues), but growth like this is critical if you are pledging your very life to full time ministry for Him. :) I think it's very exciting! Once you've decided where you'll stand, you won't turn back and you'll be stronger!

    All that said, here is a ray of sunshine for you: We have a showing tomorrow, Friday, at 4:30PM!!!!

    Big smiles from up here in VT :O)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.