Monday, December 7, 2009

Cheers for Scott

Right in front of my eyes I am watching marriages fall apart, both in and out of the church.  It's heartbreaking the number of families who are slipping away and the church is doing nothing to rescue them or hang on to them.  I heard a pastor say once that a church is only as strong as the marriages within it.  So true! 


Scott and I have had our own struggles.  We both can think of times when dissolving our marriage seemed to be the best and only option.  But only by the grace of God did we hang on.  At the beginning of our marriage we committed to never consider divorce, but we skirted around that commitment.  We joked about it when things were rough.  We essentially separated within our own home (silent treatment, sleeping on the couch, ...)  A few years back we decided that we didn't particularly like the marriage we had any more.  Life was too long to live that way.  So we started over.  We made a new commitment to never consider divorce or even separation as an option.  We agreed that there was nothing that could come our way that with God's help we could not overcome.  We determined the foundation of our marriage would be God - not just by going to church together, but by praying together and studying the Bible together.  Wow!  Amazing things that God can do when you put it all in His hands!

But today's post is not about the trouble we had at one point in our life - but instead a public cheer for Scott (another lesson I learned in the troubled waters - I gripe too much in public about what He doesn't do - he does a lot of good things that ought to be shared instead).  It has been a long week and another long week lies ahead.  He stayed home from church last night with Hannah because she was sick.  I came home to laundry washed, dried, and folded AND he had cooked the sausage I need today for a work party.  You know, I can just melt in his arms when he does these kind of things.  So Scott, I want to publicly thank you for showing your love and care for me in such a tangible fashion.  I love you very much!

1 comment:

  1. Although I love him in a very different way - I love Scott as well! He is a man of quiet wisdom and grace - Because I can call him a friend - I consider him a treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.