Friday, October 21, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things

Life in Spain is different than anything I have ever experienced.  Every sound, sight, and smell reminds me "I am not in NC anymore."

Here are a few of my favorite things:


  1. The sound of our town waking up.  Most windows in Spain have persianas on them.  These are metal blinds that keep the heat out in the summer and the cold out in the winter.  They can make a room pitch black no matter the time of the day.  But, they are noisy.  You know when your neighbors go up or down.  In the mornings when you walk through the streets you can hear them going up everywhere.  
  2. Chocolate Neapolitans.  We had them for our first time yesterday - maybe a mistake to have tasted them.  Oh they are wonderful! Kind of like a croissant, but not as flaky (or messy) and filled with either a cream filling or chocolate.
  3. Bread shops - nothing like the smell of fresh baked bread filling the streets.
  4. Coffee Time - not unusual to just stop along the way with a friend for coffee and a tapa (a small snack).  Relationships are important here and coffee time helps solidify them.
  5. New Friends - each new friend here is a jewel.  I don't understand most of what they are saying, but their faces and bodies tell me I am being accepted.
  6. Teammates - to sit with a teammate and pray together is an unexplainable gift.
  7. Zach - I hear from him more now that we are on this side of the ocean than when were closer together geographically.  I love his quick one sentence emails throughout the day.
  8. Watching language grow in the kids and Scott - they are doing so good!
  9. Spontaneity - I have never been a spontaneous person, but this is a spontaneous lifestyle.  Just stop by for a visit, just decide to do an errand, just decide to take a trip, ....  I am learning to love it.
  10. Sunshine - It has not rained since Hannah arrived here on August 25 (although we have a slight chance of light rain on Monday).  The skies are not cloudy and the sun shines bright.  Sometimes just getting out and walking in the sunshine makes everything ok.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.