Saturday, October 8, 2011

Lessons from Spain, so far

Today marks 1 week since we arrived.  According to everyone around us, we have accomplished more than expected - having internet in our apartment being a prime example.  The week has been filled with to do lists, paperwork, shopping, language learning, visiting, and lots of lesson learning.  I thought today I might share a few of those lessons with you.

  1. Kitchen floors in Spain have to be mopped almost daily, if not more often.  I don't get it - but somehow the floor is covered in black, sticky streaks every morning.  How can this same family of four make such a mess here that we didn't make before.  Now I understand the whole "take your shoes off at the door and wear house shoes (shoes that never leave the apartment)" concept.
  2. Just because the bus runs every 15 minutes for part of the day, doesn't mean it runs every 15 minutes all day.  Point in case - Thursday night we took the bus to a nearby town to meet some friends for an early dinner (met at 8:00 PM - that is a whole additional lesson).  I checked the bus schedule and between 6 and 8 it runs every 15 minutes.  Assumed that was the case all evening.  However at 10:05, we learned the bus only comes once every 50 minutes - and had just come at 10:00.
  3. Just because an item on the menu says "con Jamon (with Spanish ham)," doesn't mean you should order it.  We went to dinner on our own last night and Scott ordered off the "daily menu."  Unsure what the first word was, knowing he liked the Spanish ham, he ordered alcachuga con jamon.  In America it would be called artichokes with ham.  Not being a fan of artichokes, Scott was served an entire plate of artichokes with a little jamon sprinkled around.
  4. Fried eggs go with everything.  Thursday night I had a hamburger with a fried egg on it and last night I had a thin piece of grilled beef with a fried egg next to it.
  5. Ikea furniture is not as easy to assemble as they advertise!  When furnishing an entire place with Ikea furniture, be prepared to take a lot of aspirin or pay Ikea to do it. 
  6. Your head will begin to feel like it is exploding when learning a new language.  Alex in school, Scott at language school, or me just walking the streets have all had the "I think my head will explode any moment" feeling.
  7. Don't expect siestas the first couple weeks in a new country.  I know that the entire country is taking siesta around us, but so far it has rarely found it's way into our apartment.  Hopefully in the coming weeks!
  8. Your priority list and the priorities of those around you do not always match up.  If I was in charge of the world, the world would stop and we would have every room in our apartment put together.  Scott is much more relaxed and would do a room a day, or perhaps a piece of furniture a day.  Alex would find the toys and assemble those first (although he and Hannah are both begging for beds already).  As for those in the stores and shops - talk and visit first, then see if they can help you with your list.  Then of course there are delivery men and technicians..... morning appointment became 12 - 3 and I'll be there between 10 and 2 became 2:45.
  9. 5 meals a day is a good thing.  So far I have managed to get 4 meals in during one day, but not 5.  When we find siesta the last meal will be introduced.  When you eat this often you are never miserably full.  Perhaps weight loss will come out of this move.
  10. You can walk further than you think when you don't have an alternative.  No car and the bus is not always convenient (see #2) and gets expensive for shorter trips means you do a lot of walking.  Alex's school is about a 35 minute walk.  A couple mornings this week I have taken him to school and then turned around immediately and walked back home.   My feet are sore, but the walks get a little easier each time.  (If you are coming for a visit, start walking every day now!)
  11. The Chinese man at the general store (kind of like a Dollar General or Big Lots) may be one of my best Spanish teachers.  Alex and I went in to buy him a pair of headphones for school.  I asked for them in English and pointed to my ears.  He handed them to me, said "cochas, repeat."  I said the word and then he allowed me to purchase them.  Wonder if I can find something for a dollar a day to keep learning Spanish.
  12. Friendships can develop without language.  I have met a lady named "Loli."  She is friends with another SENDer.  She has welcomed me into her friendship circle and we have laughed quite a bit together - wonder if we are laughing at the same things?
  13. Fuzzy blankets and black couches are not a good match.  A vacuum cleaner just found its way to the top of the shopping list.
  14. Home is where your family is.  The apartment is a mess, our furniture is mostly in boxes, I don't understand anyone who rings the doorbell, shopping is slow and tedious, but this is home.

1 comment:

  1. SO MANY LESSONS! in so little time. wow, what an adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.