Friday, May 21, 2010

The far reaching influence of Spain

A few weeks ago I had invited a missionary to Uruguay to speak to the children at Cornerstone.  We had never met before so I knew little about him and he knew nothing about me.  More specifically he did not know that we had been appointed to be missionaries to Spain.

Before the children arrived he was telling me about his 20+ years of service in Uruguay.  He talked about how slow the response to Christianity had been in the beginning and how he was now seeing an increase in the spread.  Then he began to talk about those who were leaving Uruguay for Spain in hopes of finding a job.

Now my ears really perked up.   What did Spain have to do with Uruguay?  He then shared one story after another of a Uruguayan moving to Spain, hearing the good news of Jesus Christ, and then calling home and sharing with his family. 

Yesterday I shared how slow the evangelism of Spaniards is, but there is a movement among the immigrants.  And the immigrants are not keeping Jesus to themselves.  They are telling their families in other countries.

Do you get it?   A missionary in Spain is reaching more than just Spaniards.  Hondurans are fleeing to Spain in hopes of a job.  Uruguayans are going.  Many other Latin American citizens see Spain as a source for employment. 

Our prayer is that our presence in Spain will not only influence the Spaniard, but countries all over the world. 

The missionary told stories of the Uruguayans not keeping Jesus to themselves.  Made me wonder.... am I keeping Jesus to myself?   How about you?  Is Jesus in a neat little box tucked away in your heart for those moments you really need him or are you sharing the good news with every breath of your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.