Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Jeremiah 29:11

I know all the blog rules about being a paragraph or less, but I tell you today's is gonna be long, so grab a cup of coffee or diet coke and join me as I share about my Monday that required me to declare that God is good!

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

God is good was my status on facebook Monday evening.  Not that I didn't always believe it, but I saw the above verse come to life on Monday and it just needed proclaiming from the mountain tops and the closest mountain top was facebook.  Let me tell you a little about my day.

Monday Morning - I serve on an associational leadership team and our monthly meeting was Monday morning.  I wasn't really looking forward to going.  I enjoy most of the work and am learning a lot, but we had discussed a sensitive issue last month and tabled it for more discussion this month. I had a very uncomfortable feel for the decision we were being asked to make and as much as I hate confrontation I also knew I couldn't vote for the proposal as it was.  The problem was, that at the last meeting when the discussion was brought up, I felt like I was the only one with concerns so I dreaded walking into the discussion having to say what I felt I had to say.  I prayed and prayed and God left the unsettled feeling.  When we reached this item on the agenda and discussion was opened the room fell silent.  I finally spoke up and then I quickly learned I wasn't the only one struggling.  The discussion got intense but good.  God answered my prayers and the prayers of the team.  I saw Christian brothers and sisters disagree and work through an issue until a decision was reached that glorified God.  My favorite line in a favorite movie is that there is a fine line between faith and wisdom.  I think the team found that line.  But more importantly, we allowed God to direct and we saw Him move.  God is Good!

Monday Afternoon  - About two or three weeks ago my prayer for the house changed.  I quit asking God to sell it like I had for day after day after month after month.  I finally decided I ought to be taking him at his word.  He called us to missions and therefore all that is required to get us there is part of His will.  The bible says anything we ask according to His will we will receive.  So I quit asking and just started thanking God for the fact that He would sell our house.  Sounds easy and maybe a little silly to some, but it isn't easy.  There have been mornings when I didn't necessarily feel thankful, but I meant it and said it anyhow.  I know God is going to sell it (just don't know when) and I am going to praise and thank him for it until it happens and then after it happens.  So after the house sitting for a month with no activity and a showing on Saturday that was not met with love by the lookers we get a call on Monday asking for an appointment for a showing on Tuesday.  God is Good!  (it got even better on Tuesday afternoon as we got a request for another showing on Tuesday evening - two showings in one day after a month of nothing - God is good!)

Monday Evening - As part of raising our financial support we mailed out more than 20 packets to churches in the area.  (if your church didn't get one and you'd like to help us, let me know).  One of the packets was to Center Grove Baptist Church, the church where I spent my teenage years and where I was married, the church where I learned the love of serving God.  I received a very nice letter back from them saying thank you for the information but unfortunately there was no money in the budget.  Last Friday I called and left a message for the author of the letter just thanking him for taking time to write a letter (most churches just toss the packets and you don't hear anything back) and shared that we love to share our journey with them and become a missionary they pray for.  Well, on Monday afternoon he called me back and we talked for half an hour.  He promised to pass our name on to the missions team and have them call us.  He kept his promise because Monday evening the team chair called and we talked for nearly an hour.  He joined the church after I left, but we talked about all kinds of people that we both knew and talked about the positives of being a missionary that has to raise their own support (that is a whole different post) and by the end of the conversation he was working to set up a time for us to come share with the congregation our journey, had committed to praying for us specifically, and to throw our name on the table when the discussions began for the 2011 budget.  God is good!

But why did I entitled this post Jeremiah 29:11?  The entire time I was talking to the team leader Monday night God kept reminding me that back in 1978 when my family moved from Tampa to Lewisville (I called it podunkville back then) and transferred our membership from a huge church to a church with 9 pews God knew the plans He had for me.  God knew that in 2010 I would be working to raise my support so that I could tell the people of Spain about him.  God knew from 1978 - 1987 when I was learning about serving Him and the joy that comes from it that I would need those lessons in 2010.  God knew that economic times in 2010 would be difficult and the relationships that he allowed me to have over the years would be a part of Spaniards hearing of the love of Christ.  God knew and knows the plans He has for me, plans that don't always make sense or seem only for the moment.  God is definitely Very Good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.