Sunday, January 8, 2012

Retiro Park

I know, I know.... I am way behind in blogging.  I have so much I want to share but have had little time.  Hopefully in the next couple days I will have some serious blogging time and share with you about our Christmas (more than just pictures), our holiday to the south, King's Day, language progress, friendships, cooking, a new favorite recipe, and more... but for today, I just want to share with you about my the rocks.

The weather has been gorgeous here (60ish during the days) so after church today (by the way, we are settled into a single church while we learn language - another blog post to come about that) we headed to one of the largest parks in Madrid.  After navigating the metro system (and learning that there are parts of the system that require separate tickets) we finally made it there.

It is gorgeous.  Reminds me a little of Central Park in New York City.  Stretches for as far as the eye can see.  There are paths that run every direction.  In the middle is a lake where you can rent a row boat.  Restaurants are sprinkled throughout.  Vendors line the walkways.  People are climbing on rocks, walking the paths, roller blading and biking.  And yet, in the middle of it was a reminder that we are living in a country that is desperate need of the hope of Christ.

All along the walkway were fortune tellers - you could have your palms read or future told through a crystal ball.  And yes, people were paying for these services and several of them had lines of people waiting.  If that wasn't your method, then stop and see what the Tarot Cards have to say.  There wasn't just one of these tables, but numerous ones. 

In the middle of this beautiful park full of God's glorious creation, the only thing I could think of was Luke 19:40 "I tell you, he replied, if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." 

Tomorrow I return to language studies and I pray that I will keep this vision in my head - a motivator to really learn the language.  I pray that God will change the hearts of the people and perhaps there will be no need for the stones to cry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.