Saturday, January 28, 2012

Reality

The last few posts have been about the fun and the laughter we have experienced in our new home.  However, the reality of our new home slapped us in the face this week. 

We are so very grateful for technology.  We have repeatedly talked about what it was like for those who have gone before us - getting on a boat and heading across the world knowing that it took months for a letter to reach them and that in all likelihood, they would never return "home."  We are blessed with skype, email, facebook, a Magic Jack, and more.  

Yet, the reality is, there is an ocean between us and family, friends, and the place we called home.


No matter how much technology is available the ocean will never get smaller and life will continue on both sides of the ocean, at times making it feel even wider.  Lives move forward and in different directions.  Relationships change. 

The other reality is that technology does not allow touch.  Zach, our oldest son, called us Thursday evening to let us know he had lost his job.  He was desperately broken on the other side of that piece of technology and there was nothing I could do.  I couldn't reach out and hold him.  I was grateful that I could listen and pray, but more than anything else I wanted to touch him.  And at the same time, as I sat on this side of the ocean broken for my son I wanted to be touched.  Yet there was this incredible ocean between us.

God is faithful to never leave nor forsake and I can proclaim that he provided comfort, encouragement, and even touch in the hours after that call.  Yet the reality is, there will always be an ocean.

1 comment:

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.