Tuesday, September 13, 2011

The Duck




The journey to an international mission field is a crazy one!  You never know what will trigger tears or laughter.  Much of the whole journey makes no logical sense - of course, that makes sense since it involves selling everything you own, voluntarily quitting good paying jobs, and uprooting your family to move to a country you have only visited for two weeks.

Right after we began this journey we were at a staff Christmas party.  We do a dirty santa exchange and gifts range from serious to prank.  The duck in the video above was one of the gifts.  For some reason I decided I really wanted the duck.  I had committed to giving up everything we owned and this duck just struck me as something fun we could take with us.  I had it to the very end, then someone stole it and I never got it back.  I almost cried.  I know, I know - makes no sense at all, does it?  

Well the next morning at church, sitting in the big hallway outside the preschool wing (remember I was the preschool and children's minister) was a new duck.  No tags or cards - just a duck.  I knew it was for me.  I knew I was loved (or considered totally insane).

When we began to pack for the move we decided each family could one have tub filled with whatever they wanted to take to Spain.  No judgement or questions.  The only thing that made its way into my tub was this duck.  (Now we know I am crazy!)  You can press the button and cannot help but laugh. 

So after much laughter and discussion at our house we have decided the duck is going to Spain.  Watch over the coming days and months where the duck may be photographed, kind of like Where's Waldo.  The duck will give you a photo journal of the days ahead.  He will be the best traveled duck around.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.