Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What Other People Think Part 2

Wondering what the picture has to do with this post...keep reading and you'll find out.

....So what else in my life am I so worried about what people are watching that I am not doing what I know I should be doing? 

Our surrender to missions has involved a lot of hesitations at times due to being worried about whether other people are watching or not.  When we first surrendered to missions I was very worried people would think we were just following the Judys (a family in our church who we were friends with who had just recently left for the field).  I worried that people would think we were being copy cats instead of really being called to missions.

When we received our first "no" I worried what people would think of us instead of wondering what God wanted to teach us.

When we decided to go through a 2nd organization outside our denominate I worried what people in our church would think.  I worried what our pastor would say.  I worried what my parents would say.  I worried what our other missionary friends would say.

When we were finally appointed as missionaries to Spain I worried about what people would think of the idea that we were going to Spain and not some "real" mission country.

What did all this worrying about other people get me - a loss of peace that God wanted me to have.  I took my eyes off God and put them on people and I missed out on the blessing that God was waiting to give me.  When I finally and repeatedly reached the point to focus on what I knew I was supposed to be doing and not what other people were doing there was a contentment that was beyond description.  The excitement returned and replaced the anxiety. 

I wonder, what else in my life am I missing out on because I worry about what other people would think.  How about you?  My first resolution is ballroom dancing class.  When Bible Drill (class times conflict) is over I am heading to the gym to take Ballroom Dancing.  I have always wanted to take a dance class with Scott and they offer it at 4:00 on Sunday afternoons.  I will probably be a goof at it and we will probably look pretty silly together, but who cares. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.