Friday, January 4, 2013

Sometimes It Stinks

You are going to be saying that about me soon if we don't get some "real" hot water soon, but that wasn't really what I was referring to.  (Side note - we have luke warm hot water and have had this for about a week.  Supposedly the repairman is coming today, but since it is almost 6:00, I am having my doubts.  And then since this weekend is the final fiesta of Christmas in Spain and the biggest day of celebration - King's Day - I am figuring if we don't see him today we won't seen him until at least Monday or Tuesday.)

But back to what really stinks....

Sometimes it stinks to be where you know God has called you.  Sometimes it comes with yucky parts.  Sometimes it comes with lots of tears.  One of those "sometimes" was today.

Hannah returned to the states today for her second semester of college.  She is thriving and happy and I am truly blessed by how well she is doing, but it still stinks.  The house feels a little more empty and the tears seem a little closer to the eye lids.  The motivation to put away the laundry or do my Spanish homework seems waning.  Cooking for three seems a little less exciting.

Siesta seems a little more inviting.  A cup of hot tea and a lot of chocolate is yelling my name.  An aspirin or two and a blanket is very appealing.

Yet, throughout all of this, I know I am where I am supposed to be.

I have been reading Ecclesiastes and today I can relate a little to the writer.  He says at times it feels like although he is being faithful to God there is no difference in his life and others.  The hurts and disappointments keep coming.  He goes as far to say it feels as if life is all in "vain."

I get it.  A life with God doesn't guarantee the lack of tears or hurts or disappointments.  It doesn't even guarantee we'll always have hot water (writing just got interrupted by the repairman - yeah! - but not so fast, nothing is wrong with our hot water heater, other than it is too small for our house and the water outside is too cold to be heated completely and thus until spring or summer we will only have luke warm water).

But yet in the end, I'll still praise God.  And although I have the same hurts and disappointments as those without God, I have the comforter above all comforters.  Today, and maybe tomorrow, I'll curl up in my little ball and have a good cry - but yet, through it all - He will be faithful to bring a peace that passes all understanding and a comfort that is only from Him.

Yep, some days it stinks (and with only luke warm water there are going to be days that I stink) - but everyday HE gives meaning to all of it.

1 comment:

  1. Your post is humorous and at the same time causes tears. I'm considering missions and its good to know beforehand that all won't be comfy, but through all that happens may God be glorified.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.