Friday, January 18, 2013

(Sometimes it Stinks) And Sometimes it Smells Like Very Expensive Perfume

A couple weeks ago I wrote of how stinky the life of a missionary could be at times, but last night, as I was walking in the door I realized how at other times life can smell like an extremely expensive bottle of perfume.

As I looked out my kitchen window yesterday our neighbor was passing by and waved.  A simple wave led to a walk together to the trash dumpster, followed by a cup of coffee, a two hour visit, and a chance to sit with their 8 year old daughter and practice my Spanish while helping her do her nightly Bible devotions.  Ahh, such a sweet smell.

Today we went to Toledo for Scott and I to pick up our residency cards.  We were in and out of the government office in 15 minutes.  I was definitely smelling some roses as we sat down to have coffee and a croissant without having to pay more for parking.

After the government office we stopped at a book store and I bought a financial ledger for METAS (I am the treasurer) and when I got home I recorded our first two donations - one from the team who was here in October and another from a family who has already committed to supporting the new church here while they are in Costa Rica raising support to return to Spain as full time missionaries.

And on Sunday, I think I'll find myself in the "perfume factory" as we sit down in our living and experience the first worship service of the new Illescas Church.  Success is really hard to measure when serving in ministry, but for church planters (such as us) the first worship service definitely marks a huge step in the right direction.  God is definitely up to bigger things than we imagined.

So, yeah, sometimes it stinks.  Sometimes it smells so bad nobody wants to be around you, but then there are other times.  There are times when you find yourself wanting to stop in that spot, inhale some really big breaths, and pray that as you walk around you are carrying that smell with you.

Some ask why survive the stinky days?  Because there is a perfume that is able to cover up all that stink!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.