Friday, June 4, 2010

ALL your cares

"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall" 
Psalm 55:22

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 
1 Peter 5:7
 
Carefully read those two verses.  We Christians (or at least me) tend to miss an important part of these two verses.  We teach about who to cast your cares on and we teach about why God is trustworthy of your cares,  but I am firmly convinced we make these verses so "churchy" that we miss the "what we are to cast." 
 
I know I tend to keep some things for myself, not because I think I can handle them on my own, but because they aren't "spiritual" enough to be cast upon the Lord.  There are times I have cares and anxieties that I need help with that have nothing to do with faith, worship, belief, miracles, or anything else we talk about in our "christian lady circles."  There are times I have cares and anxieties about the details of my daily life and I forget to cast them on God.
 
Today I was reminded that God does care about ALL our cares.  We had arranged with a company to work on our wood floors.  I talked with the owner.  I talked with the estimator.  I read reviews online.  I went and saw a house where they had done the same kind of work and I agreed to have them come today.  I arranged to work from home and Hannah had to go to church for childcare so this allowed for a wonderful blessing - an extended, uninterrupted quiet time. 
 
I had awoke with an unsettled feeling about having the floors done but figured it was just because I am a tight wad in regards to what we are spending to try to sell the house.  I even had time to write out my prayer time this morning and I asked God to stop the floors if it wasn't something we should do.  I felt guilty asking for it, but since I have surrendered the house to Him it hit me the floors were already his anyhow.
 
I felt guilty because I have so many other needs right now related to growing my faith, directing my path to the mission field, what to share on Sunday with the children, and more.  But I asked for there to be a miraculous stop of the work if it wasn't the right thing to do.
 
And then he began to move - the tech called to say they were going to be about an hour late and had thought the owner had actually already called.  I hate late service techs.  I find it very unprofessional - especially when I am the first call of the day.   This being late prompted me to do a little more research and I found some reviews that were not real promising.
 
Then the tech finally arrived.  He looked at our floors and told me there was a 50/50 chance we would be unhappy with the outcome of the process on our floors and that our only option at that point would be to totally rip up the floors and start over.  He then says "if we don't do your floors today we won't get paid for working today, but I think you would be making a big mistake to have them done."
 
I realized right then that God does care about everything - not just what we consider spiritual stuff - all the yucky cares and anxieties.  My hope is that I never miss that part of either of those verses again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.