Monday, January 4, 2010

Whew! This Round of Paperwork is Complete



At 11:30 last night we turned in the paperwork that is due today.  I'm not normally a procrastinator, but with Christmas, Winterfest, and New Years, there just didn't seem to be enough time to sit down and complete it all.  Today I will day a break from all the "to do lists" for becoming a missionary and focus on daily life.  Has anyone seen my desk or counter at work?  I know I left them in my office, but amidst all the junk that has shown up there I'm not sure I can see them.  Clean clothes?  They are a thing of my dreams.  My goal is tomorrow to be able to get dressed 100% in my room tomorrow and not have to make trips to the garage where I have hidden the laundry that came out of the dryer when I didn't have time to fold it.  Alex commented yesterday its been a long time since we had a regular dinner at home around the table - it might be peanut butter and jelly, but we will sit down at the table together tonight.  It will have to be quick since its girl scouts night, but I am determined.

The paperwork that took the longest this time was our Doctrinal Statements.  The directions said "without outside help except from the Bible and a concordance, state your belief concerning the following Biblical doctrines.  Indicate the scripture references that support your views.  Prepare a paragraph on each item with a total of no more than four pages.  Husband and wife each must prepare their own statements."  I read the list quickly and thought to myself - I know what I believe on these things, this should be easy, then I sat down to write.  Thinking you know what you believe and supporting your beliefs with scripture and not tradition is a whole different story.  It took some serious digging and thinking to complete this step.  When we were both finished, Scott and I exchanged papers to proof each other's and just had to laugh.  We are so different!  Our approach to the layout of the answers to even some of the doctrines was different.  Scott was so complicated and technical and black and white.  I was "flowy."  He was mostly worried about answering every piece with precision, I was mostly worried about making sure the personnel team could understand what I meant.  On two of the doctrines we didn't see eye to eye.  We had some great family theological discussions when it was all done.

The best part of this exercise was the challenge it gave me to support what I believe, not to depend on someone else.  Just because my parents believed something or even because Pastor Rick taught it (although he is usually pretty reliable) is not a reason to accept a doctrine.  The scriptures are the only source of authority.  I challenge you to do the same exercise.  Take the list below and think of what you believe.  Then go to the scriptures - can you find scripture to support your belief or do you need to do a little more digging?  You'll be amazed at what you learn!

  1. The inspiration and inerrancy of the Scriptures
  2. The virgin birth, deity and pre-incarnation existence of Christ.
  3. The death and resurrection of Christ - was it for all or only the elect?
  4. The personality, baptism and filling of the Holy Spirit.
  5. Sanctification - include past,, present and future aspects.
  6. The security of the believer.
  7. The church.
  8. The significance of water baptism and the Lord's Supper
  9. Healing and tongues today.
  10. The return of the Lord
  11. The millennium
  12. Heaven and hell
  13. Eternal Punishment
  14. Judgement of the unreached and unresponsive.
  15. Satan and demons.
  16. The believer's responsibility towards evangelism - how does this relate or compare with social ministry and justice?
Have a great day and do a little digging!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.