Thursday, February 21, 2013

Cocido

Sometimes the food in Spain makes sense and other times I have a hard time wrapping my brain around it.  For example, you will find eggs on about everything.  Amazingly, the combination is pretty good a lot of the time, although occassionaly I have to work at liking it.

For example, this past Saturday I had pizza with boiled egg on it.  I know, sounds a little odd, but it was actually really good!

In the summer we often have gazpacho - a cold tomato, cucumber, vinegar type soup.  It makes great sense because it is so hot here and that soup is very refreshing.

Just recently I discovered another food that makes perfect sense - cocido.  It is the perfect rainy, cold day kind of food (like today).   It's kind of like a deconstructed stew (can you tell I like to watch food shows?).  In actuality it is all cooked together in a big stew pot then served separately.  The first plate is a noodle soup that is served using the broth of from cooking the gazpacho beans.  Then you receive a plate of gazpacho beans, vegetables, and a variety of meat, including pork, beef, and chicken.  Normally you leave the table so full you can't walk.


I saw it advertised on a lunch board today at the "bar" (remember these aren't an American bar) where we went for coffee and Scott agreed it was a great spot for lunch. (A definite treat to eat out)  And now, after eating the whole thing, all I want to do is crawl up under a blanket and take a nap!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.