Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Girlfriends

A few days ago I reflected on the days that it easy to forget we live on the "other side of the ocean" and that life sometimes just goes with the flow.   But today isn't one of those days.  It's one of those days where you realize there is a really big hole in your life in those first years of living here.  A hole that is the size of girlfriends.

I think the thing I miss most is that "really close, tell it how it is, share your deepest thoughts, no fear of judgement, willing to laugh and cry with you, encourage you and correct you" girlfriend.  You know the kind of friend that comes along just a few times in your life.  Don't get me wrong.  There are lots of people here who are friends - both Spaniards and co-workers.  But it is hard to have that kind of relationship without strong language and my co-workers who speak English live in different cities.  That kind of friend is definitely walking with the same faith in God as you are, and since we are living in a town with little to no evangelical presence that kind of friend is definitely a rare gem here.

I have also realized that I don't think I ever told these friends how much I appreciated them.  Think it is one of those things I took for granted.  But today, I realize just how valuable of a gift a girlfriend is.  I also realize how important they are to a gal like me.

So today I am yearning for a cup of coffee, a box of chocolate, and some serious girlfriend time.  But, instead I'll take some Spanish homework (so that one day that kind of relationship might be possible here) and a skype call about potential new ministry material, and maybe I'll cheat on my diet and have some chocolate!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.