Sunday, July 22, 2012

Home

We have been back in North Carolina for almost a week.  It's been an interesting transition back - some things feel very familiar, and yet others feel foreign.  Our bodies are not sure what time it is nor what meal we are supposed to be eating.  But even more than that, our minds and hearts aren't always sure how to answer some questions.

The most common question is "how does it feel to be home?"  Home?  Is North Carolina home?  Is Spain home?  Did we leave home or did we return home?  

The answer to all of those questions change by the hour.  When we left Spain I lived in Alcala de Henares and I would call it home.  But at times, I'd also be heard saying "in July I am taking Hannah home."  When I return to Spain my house will be in Illescas.  But will it already be home?

So for those of you who will still ask "how does it feel to be home? and I look at you with glazed over eyes and the deer in the headlight look - know that it isn't a lack of understanding the question, but instead, I really have no idea how to answer.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, yes. You are quite normal!! :-) You are dealing with the question our kids have to deal with every day of their lives until they make a 'home' of their own. Sigh. It does get easier just because you get more used to not having an answer to the question. :-) Ambiguity becomes your life. And that's not really so bad. :-) Hugs from here!! We miss you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.