Monday, December 5, 2011

A Day in Madrid

Mom, if you are reading this post don't panic - we are safe and still happy....

Sunday we were blessed to attend church at Immanuel Baptist Church in downtown Madrid.  The church is an international church and services are in English, although they do space share with a couple other ethnic churches.  It was wonderful to worship in our heart language and understand all that was happening.  Afterwards we headed into the center of town to experience the Rastro.

Sundays in Madrid are crazy and Sundays in December in Madrid are even crazier!  We spent about 30 minutes looking for a parking deck that had open spaces.  We finally parked a little further away than we planned so we  got on the metro for a short distance.  We had been warned to always have purses close to your body and closed and to stay alert.  Until yesterday we had never had any problems.  The subway was packed.  I had my purse across my chest and over my coat (I should have had it under my coat).  The man standing next to me kept looking at me sheepishly and I felt my purse move against my leg.  After feeling it move more than once (and God nudging me) I grabbed my purse and found it not only unzipped, but my wallet pouch pulled up to the top and unzipped as well.  When he realized I had found it he immediately pushed his way across the train towards other people.  My credit card and passport were untouched.  Most of my cash was still in the pouch as well.  I think he may have taken a bill that was on top, but I am not sure.  It could have been so much worse so we were relieved!  My tutor told me today that there are more pickpocket episodes in December than any other month and of course, those who look like tourists are more likely to be targets.

After getting off the metro we made our way to Rastro (after stopping and asking questions many times).  The Rastro is a huge flea market.  I read on one website that they limit the number of booths to 3500 vendors.   There were people everywhere and you wandered for streets and streets.  We bought a couple gifts and then went in search of lunch.  A bocadilla is a sandwich on bread similar to a french loaf.  Usually cold meat is served on it and since I am not a big sandwich eater, they aren't my favorites, but this restaurant had sandiwches with hot choices.  I had a french omelette bocadilla.  It was the best sandwich I have had since arriving.  We then wandered around some more and headed home.

I can now say I have done the Rastro, however, it is not on my list of things to repeat.  Not because of the pickpocketer, but because there were way too many people in too small of a place.  Everyone should experience it at least once, but once was enough.



Sock Booth

Yes, those are people all the way up the hill

A rubber booth - all sizes of rubber

Beggars entertaining for money

Entrance to Plaza Mayor


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.