Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving - Telling Cindy's Parents

Henry Blackaby, in Experiencing God, would teach that if you are truly walking with God in every action, thought, and desire, and plan, God will be there before you get there and when you get there. The next step in your life journey will be natural out of the things God is doing in your life and people around you won't be all that surprised. He teaches that God goes before you if you are following him.

We decided that our parents were the next people who needed to know our decision. Scott's mom often joins my family for Thanksgiving. It is casual (we order most of the food from K & W Cafeteria) and relaxing. We knew our house was to go on the market shortly after Thanksgiving and wanted them to know why. All of our parents are Christians and expected them to be both excited and sad. Excited for what the future held as we were obedient to God, sad as they realized their grandchildren (and maybe a little their children) were going to be far away.

At the beginning of Thanksgiving week Scott's mom changed her plans about coming. She just wasn't up to the trip. AT first we were disappointed then realized telling the parents separately may be a good idea anyhow. Scott arranged to go see her at a later date. On Tuesday, my dad called and left a message reminding me that my mom's birthday was at the end of the week and asking if I would call him back. He had a favor to ask me that wouldn't cost me any money, but to please call him back when I knew mom wouldn't be in listening distance. Not an unusual request as I often help with his shopping, but the no money thing had me puzzled.

I called him back and the puzzle got bigger. He said, "since this might be our last Thanksgiving together" would I please say the blessing on Thursday as a birthday gift to my mom. "Last Thanksgiving together" - why? I immediately drilled Hannah who had spent a week with him and she promised she had not said anything. Then I got excited to realize God had already been ahead of us in this conversation too, but of course doubts had to sneak in. Scott asked if i thought the statement meant there was something wrong with one of my parents.

Oh my! What if that was the case? I had to pray and think about whether I was willing to be obedient in this call, regardless of the situation. Once again I returned to prayer and the verse about forsaking family returned. I knew if there was a problem with one of them I could be obedient. I would just have to "trust and obey" that God was in charge of their life as well as mine and that he had the perfect plan with the perfect timing.

Thanksgiving lunch is about over and I am stressing as to how to begin this conversation. I mean, they have no clue its coming and you don't just pop up and say "we are moving to some unknown country at some unknown time in the future," but God even had a plan there. My dad gave my mom a GPS for her birthday over dessert. Perfect intro into the conversation - "hey mom, do you think that GPS might work in another country?" Unfortunately she took my question serious and for the next ten minutes she and dad discussed whether it would work or not. Finally, I had to interrupt and tell them what I really meant.

There was silence for a few minutes, but then the questions. My mom was excited (and even kept the tears to a minimum) and my dad wanted to be sure we were going to be taken care of. My sister and her husband had a few questions too, but the mood was joyous and not disbelief or sadness. It is such a blessing to be in a family of all Christians. I pray I never take that for granted.

If I learn nothing else in this process I have already learned that when you are obedient to God's commands the path is a lot easier than when you forget ahead on your own. I later asked my dad why he made the comment about the last Thanksgiving together, and he said he really didn't know, just that he thought Zach being in college and all may not be able to always be home for Thanksgiving. God will even use those around you to remind you that He is in charge. Oh Thank You dear Heavenly Father that this journey is one that you are leading and that we are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.