Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cultural Confusion

I am constantly encountering moments when the culture around me and the culture in my head do not match, but normally that occurs between a Spaniard and me.  But occasionally, I hit a situation where I realize that the more time we spend in a new land that we create a third culture - some mix of our old and our new culture.  And interestingly, this third culture looks different for everyone.

The other night I had this concept hit me smack in the face, in a crazy kind of way.  I am looking for a tortilla keeper and have not found one yet, so I emailed two friends (who are both from the US but live near me) and asked if they had ever seen one.  One immediately wrote back that she had not seen them and her solution. The second conversation, however, had me rolling in the floor with laughter.

Here is the email I sent...

Ok Spanish Shopping Experts - I am looking for a tortilla keeper - you know the terra cotta color dish, usually plastic now a days, that is meant for putting steamed tortillas in for serving.  Have either of you seen one?

What immediately came to your mind?  

Here is what I wanted...

However, in Spain we also have another product that is referred to as "tortilla."  


This product is fried and is made of eggs and potatoes.

This was the tortilla that popped into my friend's head until I sent her the picture.  She wrote out for me what was happening in her head as she pondered my question...

HA!!!   Yes.  I DO know what THAT is….it's just not what I was imagining.  In MY head, I was wondering how you'd put a TORTILLA (DE PATATAS) in a sealed container without it getting soggy!!!  And since you said STEAMED tortillas…I was really not understanding where on earth you'd eaten yours.  Perhaps in Illescas they like STEAMED Tortillas de patata.   But yuck!
HA!

Oooops.


A funny, yet simple reminder, that "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas (or North Carolina) anymore."  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving your comment. To avoid spam comments, all comments are moderated. Your comment will post as soon as I receive it.